TEDCO/Maryland Venture Fund
We believe in trail blazers, big ideas, and game changing technologies. As engaged investors we partner with Maryland’s most visionary entrepreneurs to build companies that create financial, economic and social value. For this reason, please understand it would be impossible for us to invest in every opportunity that comes knocking. In reality, we are able to fund less than five percent of the companies we meet.
MVF makes investments in seed and early stage companies. We have found our sweet spot for investing has been between a company’s seed funding round and its first round of institutional financing. Our ability to bridge this funding gap for our portfolio companies has better enabled them to raise their next round of capital.
- Type of Investment – Equity and convertible debt
- Amount – $100K (seed) – $1M (later stage)
- Sector – Software, Platform, IT, Communications, Cybersecurity, Education Tech, Energy Tech, Health IT, mHealth, Diagnostics, Medical Devices
- Location Criteria – Maintain principal place of business in Maryland. Companies with principal offices outside of Maryland will be considered if they commit to move to Maryland
- Intellectual Property – Defensible IP is an important factor for investment consideration
- Management – Full-time management with proven track record
- High Growth – Prospect companies must have a product and exhibit the potential for high growth—lifestyle and service businesses tend to fall outside of our investment criteria
- Investor Alignment – Achieving alignment amongst stakeholders is one of our highest priorities.
We structure our investments such that the interests of all stakeholders—founders, employees, and investors—are aligned. Our evergreen fund structure makes MVF particularly well positioned to achieve close alignment with founders in terms of cash-on-cash returns as opposed to traditional venture funds that tend to focus more on achieving a high Internal Rate of Return (IRR) for the fund.
Value Add – It is important to us that we are the right investors for our portfolio companies. We strive to only invest in companies which we are confident that we can add real value after investing
- Business Plan Consulting, Development and Review
Financial Resources and Assistance
- Angel Investment Providers
- Obtaining Debt Funding
- Obtaining Equity Funding
- Technology Grants
- Venture Capital Equity Providers
Manufacturing, High Tech, Life Sciences Development
- Industrial Technology Research
- Technology Transfer
Starting a Business
- Startup Business Counseling
- Peer Mentoring
7021 Columbia Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Are you Tammi Thomas? Update your profile
Send Yourself a Magic Link
We will send you a link by mail that will sign you in instantly!