As the state's primary economic development agency, we stimulate private investment and create jobs by attracting new businesses, encouraging the expansion and retention of existing companies, and providing workforce training and financial assistance to Maryland companies.
The Department also promotes the state's many economic advantages and markets local products and services at home and abroad to spur economic development and international investment, trade and tourism.
Since 2010, Maryland Commerce has assisted nearly 4,000 small businesses and organizations; helped create or retain 40,000 jobs, and leveraged nearly $3 billion in private investment.
Companies such as Amazon, Discovery Communications, Johns Hopkins Medical, Legg Mason, Millennial Media, Under Armour and Volvo Powertrain have recently located or expanded in Maryland.
- Building and site location assistance
- Finance programs, tax credits and training grants
- Business advocacy and consulting
- Technology transfer
- Foreign direct investment
- Export consulting and marketing
- Tradeshow and conference partnerships